Nevada Drug Diversion
- NRS 453.3363 allows the Court to suspend the proceedings after a guilty plea to place an offender on probation with drug treatment and counseling conditions
- Drug Courts meet often to supervise progress in the treatment program
- Upon successful completion of drug treatment and probation without any violations a Defendant may petition the court to dismiss the case or reduce the charges to a lesser offense
- NRS 484C.340 gives the Court authority to grant diversion in felony DUI cases
- DUI court works the same way as drug court and allows the court to supervise a Defendant’s progress in their recovery.
- Upon completion of the program the Defendant will receive a better outcome to their case.
- Although no statutory options exist for the diversion of misdemeanor cases there are non-statutory options available
- These options can include consequences as simple as community service and fines and they can also include drug treatment and/or supervision through the probation department.