The Law Office of Adam T. Spicer is a full service criminal defense law practice in South Lake Tahoe. Tahoe DUI defense, Tahoe drug defense, medical marijuana cases, probation violations, and traffic offenses. Whether you are facing criminal prosecution in California or Nevada, The Law Office of Adam T. Spicer is here to defend your rights.
- A felony is the most serious offense and can have impacts on future employment, voter eligibility, owning a firearm and many other aspects of everyday life.
- A felony offense is any offense that is punishable by one year or more in state prison.
- If you are charged with a felony offense you will have court appearances for arraignment, preliminary hearings and pre-trial conferences. Additional appearances may be made for the purpose of discussing bail or arguing motions. If a suitable resolution to the case is not agreed upon, you will have the choice to take the case to trial.
- A misdemeanor offense can be punished by jail, probation or fines, but is not as serious as a felony offense. A misdemeanor does not have as many collateral consequences as a felony.
- A misdemeanor is any offense that is punishable by less than one year. People convicted of misdemeanors are sent to county jails and not state prison.
- If you are charged with a misdemeanor offense you will have court appearances for arraignment and pre-trial conferences. Additional appearances may be made for the purpose of discussing bail or arguing motions. If a suitable resolution to the case is not agreed upon, you will have the choice to take the case to trial.
Infractions / Traffic Offenses
- Infractions are the lowest offense under the law. The most common infractions are vehicle code violations that result in ‘getting a ticket.’ The Law Office of Adam T. Spicer is glad to offer defense of any traffic violation.
- Most other infractions are code violations or minor violations of the law. Though you are not facing any jail time, you still have rights that need to be protected.
- On his way out of office, Governor Schwarzenegger signed a bill that reduced possession of less than one (1) ounce of marijuana from a misdemeanor to an infraction. If you are charged with possession of less than one (1) ounce of marijuana, this offense can only be an infraction.
Your Presence is Not Always Required
- In California, an attorney can handle most court appearances without the client being present.
- With the Court’s permission, you would never have to come to court for a misdemeanor or infraction charge. And if charged with a felony, you would only have to come to court for trial or to enter a plea.
- So save yourself the time, hassle and expense of spending your workdays in a courthouse. Let the Law Office of Adam T. Spicer go to work for you today!